Foot Action (Footlocker)

Friday, February 12, 2010

My First Pair of (Pseudo)Basketball Shoes

I am a basketball nut since my childhood years, which pretty much explains my fascination for basketball shoes, especially Jordans. But I have never amassed any collection of sneakers, as much as I consider myself a sneakers aficionado.

Back when I was a child, my dad really pushed me to be a tennis player. He would bring me along every time he plays (or not, as long as his destination is our local tennis court). While my dad really tried to rub the tennis gusto on me, basketball had the more gravitational pull as far as sports is concerned. He even bought me a complete tennis set, racquets, shoes, and all, in a failed attempt to lure me in his preferred sport.

On the other hand, I was getting much better at basketball and when I was 11 years old, I entered my first basketball tournament. Of course, like any kid would have done, I asked my dad if he could get me a pair of basketball shoes (to be specific, I asked for the one with the star on the logo).

Being the supportive father he is, my dad did get me a pair of crazy kicks.

A pair of low-cut, vintage, classic, black Robertson sneakers.

One could only imagine the embarrassment I was to feel during game time, considering the way I bragged about me getting the pair that I wanted.

So I paraded and played, and went on to be one of the leading scorers that day. That alone would have made my day. But when I got home, I got a big surprise that I would never forget – my dad bought me the pair I wanted right after the game.

We went on to become third best team in our category in that particular tournament.

0 comments: